It's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Ugly Notes

I was having lunch recently with a colleague. Among other quirks, she is the sort of person who goes home from a casual lunch and promptly writes a personal thank-you note, signs, stamps and drops it into the nearest mailbox. A vanishing breed, that's she. 

The internet and cellphones have dealt snail mail of any sort a stunning blow, of course, and that's old news. I myself seldom send out material cards any more except to a chosen few at Christmas. The chosen few being largely self-selected, since they are the ones who have already sent me such a relic. I look forward to sending them out this year with the Harvey Milk stamp.

Lest we mourn too quickly for the demise of the traditional greeting card, however, there comes this entry into the market: 
"Greeting cards from horrible people. If you're anything like us, you're a horrible person. But you're the kind of horrible person who appreciates honesty, which is what we have to offer. We're a ragtag group of designers and pessimists creating a collection of greeting cards that express what you're really thinking."
Here is a sample:

"I hope you stay there."

The website claims that they are swamped with orders and it may take a week for your purchase to arrive.

This delay is precisely why snail mail is doomed. When one wishes to send a loved one a nasty note, one will brook no delays.
 

1 comment:

  1. I have a lovely stationery collection which hasn't been used in ages. Once in a while I will write a letter; I sense the current box will last me a life time.

    ReplyDelete