It's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack.

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Is it just me?

Not long after I got my tablet, I discovered mPoints, whereby I earn points by playing certain games or using certain apps. I have to say that for months and months, I was happy. I used my points to get Amazon gift cards and added them easily to my Amazon account. The points added up fairly fast, my Amazon credit (which does not expire) grew and life was good.

Then I noticed that the program had started to get stingy. First, things that originally gave me 10 points began to be worth only 5. Or even less! Some point-earners simply disappeared from the system.

Recently they switched from giving points for viewing brief ads to making you watch five ads for the (useless) privilege of being entered into a contest for a gift card. Admittedly the gift card offered is a generous one, but you have no promise of ever winning one. I have no idea how many people use the things, but one imagines there are hundreds of thousands or millions, since major businesses place ads on the system. Now I feel like it is a waste of time to watch ads for a highly unlikely chance at a card. Before I at least knew I was earning points and my total was slowly growing.

In my case, I just skip the offer to watch an advertisement now to save time. Why waste fifteen seconds X five ads just to be entered in a contest I am statistically pretty sure to lose. My minute-and-a-quarters are worth more than that. So they may be saving (in some obscure way) by dropping the points-for-ads thing, but now I am not watching any of the ads their sponsors are paying to place on the system.

Maybe everyone else loves the changes. Me, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment