It's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Burger Pride and questionable censorship

Burger King is celebrating gay pride with a message on its Whopper wrappers.
The fast-food chain has posted a video online Wednesday that shows scenes from a San Francisco location where it sold a "Proud Whopper." Customers were not told what is in the burger, which comes wrapped in rainbow paper. Once opened up, a message inside the wrapper states, "We are all the same inside."

The idea is that the Proud Whopper is no different from the regular Whopper, despite its colorful packaging.
You probably saw stories about this online or on the news. I mention it because when I clicked on a link to the story -- on my Bing homepage in their newsfeed -- I was told that I would have to change my settings in order to view the article. My Safe Search settings were set at Strict for some reason. I usually have them at Moderate.

At any rate, there is nothing remotely objectively offensive about this story. I suspect the problem is that the computer filter screens out everything that has to do with gay or maybe pride in an article that also contains the word gay. Or even whopper, I suppose! Especially in relation to gay and pride! 

Some years ago, to test software that claimed to "protect your children from dangerous blogs", I created two blogs on which I posted the same news article. The article was a perfectly harmless one about whether or not there is such a thing as gaydar. One version used the word homosexual, the other replaced that word with gay.  

The software found the post that talked about homosexuality safe for children, but blocked the duplicate post that only differed by the use of the word gay.

So silly!

1 comment: