It's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Bathe, Brittania!


Queen Victoria's bathing machine

Queen Victoria's bathing machine

The Bathing Machine

"Drove to the beach with my maids and went in the bathing machine, where I undressed and bathed in the sea (for the 1st time in my life)… I thought it delightful till I put my head under water, when I thought I should be stifled." Queen Victoria's Journal 30 July 1847 

Prince Albert believed that sea bathing was beneficial to health, and a bathing machine was installed at Osborne House, the former royal residence on the Isle of Wight, in 1846 at his request, so that Victoria could enjoy the waters.  

See it fully restored on the beach that Victoria enjoyed with her family. This curious object was used by the queen to preserve her modesty. It has a veranda at the front where curtains concealed her from view whilst she bathed.  

Inside is a changing room and a plumbed in toilet. The whole contraption was run into the sea from the beach along a long ramp, and pulled back using a wire rope and winch.

Damien's note: Those of a certain age may recall these lines from the song, "When I'm 64" by the Beatles:
Every summer we can rent a cottage,
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear

No comments:

Post a Comment