It's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack.

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Clerical follies

Although I never mention it myself, I was once a seminarian. So I am often embarrassed when I see some of the things that religious folks say. But clerical folly is not a new thing. Witness this item from the Sangamo Journal/ Illinois State Journal from March 20, 1849:


I might add that I am also embarrassed by the deafening silence coming from American religious leaders when they should speak up. There's a lot of that going around at the moment. 

Know what I mean, Vern?

2 comments:

  1. Here in AZ it is even more ticklish, for the parishes are very conservative and if you start preaching immigration /refugees it rouses paranoia not compassion and the collection plate dries up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And isn't that terribly sad, Ur-spo?

    ReplyDelete