It's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I can't understand this

The Welsh language is such a severe mutation of the original English spoken in the Middle Ages that, to the inexperienced eye, it is barely distinguishable from, say, Klingon. 

In fact, in July, the Welsh government, responding to queries about a possible UFO sighting near Cardiff airport, playfully issued its galaxy-friendly response in Klingon -- “jang vlDa je due luq,” meaning that further information will be provided. 

In Welsh, for example, “I cannot understand Welsh” is “nad oes modd i ddeall Cymraeg.”

Recently, in Swansea, Wales, alleged drug dealer Dwaine Campbell, 25, adamantly refused to leave his cell for a court hearing because he feared being judged in Welsh--until authorities promised to transfer the case to Campbell’s native England.

Source: Wales Online 

Damien's note: The red Welsh dragon's sign says, "I'm speaking Welsh."

2 comments:

  1. I take a certain pride in having Welsh forbears, but I must admit the language escapes me. I have tried a couple of times to learn how to say some basic things, but it is no use. In fact, I can say more in Kiswahili than in Cymraeg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks a tough language, yes.

    ReplyDelete